Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 18, 2016

THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE GETS HIS DUE

TH WISCONSIN URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL MEETS AT THE BAYFIELD PAVILION

THE OLD MAN GETS A PLAQUE...



...BEAUTIFULLY DONE

Saturday, 9:00 AM.  63 degrees F at the ferry dock and on the back porch.  Wind variable and calm.  The sky is clear with some haze, the humidity still 91%.  The barometer has started to fall some, now at 30.18".  We may get a thunderstorm today or tomorrow and it will be warmer.
   The Wisconsin Urban Forestry Council, which is advisory to the Governor and the Department of Natural Resources on urban forestry matters, met for the first time in Bayfield yesterday.  It gave me an opportunity to take  them on a tour of our city street tree program, as well as to see some Bayfield agri-businesses (Hauser's Orchards and Highland Valley blueberry farm).  It was a lot of effort on my part but it was an opportunity to give back something to a group that has been a large part of my life for the last eight years.  I had another year left on the Council before mandatory retirement (three terms) but felt it was time for someone with more energy and current forestry and management knowledge to take my place.
   My role in life has usually been as Devil's Advocate and general pain in the butt, and that is the role that I have played on the Council.  Evidently it has been appreciated, or at least tolerated, since they presented me with a beautiful walnut plaque.  Either that or they wanted to be absolutely sure I wouldn't change my mind.
   Even the Devil's Advocate sometimes gets his due.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment