Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 31, 2008

January 29

1/29/08: Tuesday, 8:25 AM. 16 degrees, the barometer predicting sunny skies. Wind NE, at times gusty, to maybe 20 MPH.
It rained last night and the roads are slick. The city has sanded, so roads are mostly O.K. for cars, but it is hazardous walking. The day could go either way; pleasant or a dangerous storm.
I have not yet put Thoreau back on the shelf, I find him very insightful reading. He was a true transcendentalist, looking for answers through inspiration, Thoreau was also a keen observer, and thereby a true scientist, using both inductive and deductive reasoning. I think he was an important scientific figure, although his fame is as a writer and philosopher. I have an ancient, garage sale volume of Humboldt, another 19th-Century naturalist, which I have never read, and that shall be next.

No comments:

Post a Comment