Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 4, 2012

2/04/12 DOG SLED RACES; AND, HE MIGHT BELIEVE IT, BUT I SURE DON'T


16 DOGS IS A LOT OF...

SHOVEL WORK...

...AND FEEDING

THE DOGS WEREN'T INVITED

BLOG READERS AND CONSTANT VOLUNTEERS SUSAN AND KEVIN
Saturday, 8:00 AM.  34 degrees, wind S, light but picking up.  The sky is cloudless but the barometer is down, predicting precipitation.
    Today is the first day of the dog sled races, and we will go to watch for a while where the trail crosses Star Route at Butternut Road. We missed last year’s race as we were in Texas. There should be enough snow in the back country for at least today's races, but the weather is pretty warm for the dogs, which would prefer it below zero. Yesterday evening Buddy and I checked out the teams as they arrived in their truck/kennels at the Seagull Bay Motel and the Bayfield Inn.  Last night was also the Meet the Mushers annual spaghetti dinner, which was well attended by musher’s and public alike (the dogs didn’t come to dinner).
        Commentary: The President defended his desire for higher taxes on the “wealthy”(eventually that will mean everyone who isn't "poor") at a prayer breakfast yesterday by quoting the Bible, viz., “To whom much has been given, much will be required (of).”  Now, that ain’t exactly the way I heard it, but its close enough to the King James version I grew up with that I can accept the quotation.    That doesn’t mean I accept his interpretation.  The way I learned to interpret that Bible passage ,way back when, it means that the fortunate should share their good fortune with the less fortunate, as a matter of conscience.  And I don’t think Jesus was talking about Cesar (or Obama) confiscating anyone’s earthly goods.
         I’m no more of a Biblical scholar than the President, but about the broadest interpretation I would be able to give the quotation is that it mandates a tithe to the church to enable it to distribute charity to the poor, and in many respects I wouldn’t trust organized religion to do much better in that regard with my money than the federal government. 
        I’m way short of a tithe for charity this year any way I look at it, but I try, and that’s up to me to settle with my Maker, not with the President.  Unless, of course, his hubris has really extended to believing he is God Almighty, or at least Jesus Christ. Might as well include the Holy Spiritt.  He might believe he is the Holy Trinity, but I sure don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment