Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

3/28/12 JUST CALL ME HUMAN

BEAKED HAZLENUT FLOWER

Wednesday, 8:00 AM.  39 degrees F, wind W, calm to light.  The sky is overcast but the barometer predicts sunshine.
        The male catkins of the beaked hazelnut bushes have been obvious for some time, and they have now been joined by the tiny purple female flowers which, once fertilized, will develop the nuts.
        It has been many a US census since I have declared my race as anything but “human.”  I have thought it not only presumptuous but probably absurd as well to declare myself “white” when I, nor anyone else can be absolutely sure of one’s true and complete lineage, and particularly since some zealots will claim an individual to be part of their racial group if the person has “a single drop of X blood,” such as will many Indian tribes, or deny an individual is part of their racial group if the person has “a single drop of Y blood” such as will white supremacists. Such arguments are specious and unsupportable in logic. 
        In addition they can cause great mischief, such as in the current case of the black youth (read half white, half black) who was shot to death by a “white-Hispanic” man, a case made prominent by the comments of our “black-white” president.  All this to the apparent joy of the racial trouble-makers such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who would be completely irrelevant without constant racial conflict.
        I have particular disdain for the Rev. Sharpton, since we lived and worked in New York during the infamous Twanna Brawly case, Sharpton ginning the totally unsubstantiated ramblings of a deeply disturbed young woman into an explosive racial incident.
        And I have to say I am very tired of having the racial description “white” used in the accusative and assigned wily-nilly by racists to implicate guilt.  I suppose I could claim that myself and millions and millions of others others  are being discriminated against because of our melanin deficiency, but will not embrace that tar baby.  Just call me human.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment