Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 19, 2015

GETTING AHEAD OF THE GAME

AHEAD OF THE GAME

MAPLE SAP IS FLOWING...

...FROM A SMALL HOLE I BORED IN THE BARK OF ONE OF OUR 'AUTUMN BLAZE' MAPLES
Thursday, 8:30 AM.  30 degrees F, wind SW, calm with occasional light gusts.  The sky is mostly cloudy, the humidity is 64% and the barometer is trending down, now at 30.24".  We need rain.  The record high for today, set in 2012, is 82; the record low, set in 1950, is -14.  Our current temperatures are well within the normal range.
   Rick Dale out at Highland Valley Farm is going to tap maple trees this weekend. Sap has been flowing pretty well according to one of our Autumn Blaze hybrid red maples in the front yard, in which I bored a small hole in the bark with my pocket knife. The running sap looks awful I guess, but does no harm and will keep me informed of sap run conditions on a daily basis.  Maybe I should find a spile and a bucket.
   A few ambitious folks around Bayfield have started to rake lawns and gardens but generally speaking it is still too wet, and shady areas still have snow.  Enter Mike and Susan, on the corner of Eighth and  Manypenny, who have actually tilled and raked their vegetable garden!  I almost started to uncover the perennial garden yesterday but didn't quite get to it.  Barring a change in the weather I'll get started today.
    It would be nice to get ahead of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment