Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 30, 2013

NEW CITY STREET LAMPS

RITTENHOUSE AVE. , LOOKING WEST FROM THE CITY DOCK
Saturday, 8:00 AM.  28 degrees F, wind W, calm at present.  The sky is lightly overcast and it is a very dark and quiet morning.  The humidity is 77'% and the barometer is trending down, now at 30.09".  I think we may get some snow.  It would be a nice morning to be in the woods but we are overflowing with garbage and recyclables and have to take care of that this morning.
   I shoveled the first real snow of the winter without much difficulty, although I am glad it wasn't any deeper.  I have about worn out my snow shovel and will have to look for a replacement.  I am quite fussy about shovels so it may take me a while to find exactly the right one.
   The Bayfield Chamber of Commerce raised funds to to purchase new light posts and lamps which were installed last spring during the repaving of Hwy. 13 through town. The fixtures are of a local historic design,  with modern functionality, and replace rather mundane lamp posts of 1950's vintage.  They were installed on both sides of Rhittenhouse Ave. from 4th st. to the City Dock, and also for one block south of Rittenhouse Ave. on Broad St. and on First Street from Rittenhouse Ave. north to Washington Ave.  I was rather neutral to the idea because of the expense, and also because I felt it was more important to add some trees along Rittenhouse rather than concentrate on lamp posts.  That said, I have to admit that the new fixtures are very pretty at night with their holiday greens and lights, and the whole downtown area is vastly more attractive, which should help downtown businesses.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment