Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, March 14, 2008

3/14/08

Friday, 8:30 AM. 28 degrees, barometer predicts partly cloudy weather. Wind W, light to moderate. Skies with variable clouds and a bit of blue. Earlier, the eastern skies were filled with truly ominous looking storm clouds but they are fewer now.
Yesterday was a good melting day, and I cleared some of the parking space needed for guests and will finish that this morning. The old snow is sometimes crusty, sometimes mushy and generally a mess to shovel.
I made the error of taking the woods walk this morning and about every third step I sunk over my boots, and in one spot I sunk way over my knees and had trouble extricating myself from the goo. The thought occurred to me that if it suddenly got colder I might be frozen in and not have gotten out for a month. Maybe someone would have come along and thrown a cable around me and winched me out like a fallen log, but maybe not.
It occurs to me that this might be a challenging maple sugar season if things don’t either freeze up or melt in earnest. Of course none of this bothered Lucky, since although he is a tad chubby for a Springer he still is light enough to mostly stay on top of the snow. Snowshoes may have helped but I doubt it. Think spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment