Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

12/07/11 IT IS BETTER TO SNOOZE THAN TO CAUSE TROUBLE

REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR

APPLE TREE IN WINTER
Wednesday, 8:00 AM.  27 degrees, wind WSW, calm.  The sky is completely overcast and the barometer predicts precipitation.  
    In case anyone could forget, this is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.   I was too young for “the day that will live in infamy” to register meaningfully in my own memory, although  I do remember the war years quite well.  I have just reread the historical-fiction account of the attack in Herman Wouk’s classic The Winds of War, and I recommend that book and its sequel, War and Remembrance, particularly for those younger than myself.
    I have a solution to the current problem of politicians running for office about whom scandals from years ago become campaign issues.  As far as they involve the indiscretions of youth, there should be a statute of limitations on the press and publicity of fifteen years.  Then, vote for no one under the age of sixty-five.  Both passions and hormones decrease with amazing rapidity after the age of forty-five or fifty, and hopefully wisdom increases inversely. In other words, vote for the old folks.  It is better to snooze than to cause trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment