Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 8, 2014

HOLDOVERS AND TUMBLES

RUGOSA ROSE HIPS

AMERICAN CHESTNUT EMPTY NUT HUSK

MOUNTAIN ASH BERRIES

SUMAC SEED HEADS

BLACK LOCUST SEED PODS

NORTHERN PIN OAK DRIED LEAVES
Saturday, 8:30 AM. 18 degrees F, wind variable, light.  The sky is partly cloudy with some weather apparently approaching slowly from the west.  The humidity is 75% and the barometer is pretty high, at  30.36".  It looks like it will be another day of melting, of which we could use about a month.
   We usually think of winter as  a pretty sterile season, but if we look around a bit we see all kinds of evidence of life, either dormant or holdovers from the last growing season.  I present evidence of the latter, all found within a short walk of my front door.  And there are many, many more such interesting objects of nature to be found in the winter landscape, that I will post as winter withers away.
   I have to admit that even ten years ago I wouldn't have been  paying close attention to such incidentals of winter nature.  I would have been jogging, trying to get my heart rate up over something or other that was supposedly good for me, and I would have been concentrating on not falling on the slippery road.  Run, rush, accomplish this task or goal every waking moment.  That's O.K., but a few aches and pains to slow me down and the final realization that I am not immortal has made me a much better observer and a lot more reflective.  Too bad I had to take so many tumbles to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment