Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, March 7, 2014

LOCAL STREAMS STILL ICED UP

LITTLE SIOUX RIVER AT JUNCTURE WITH THE BIG SIOUX
STILL FROZEN TIGHT

SIOUX RIVER ABOVE BIG ROCK FALLS...JUST A TRICKLE

Friday,  8;30 AM.  27 degrees F, wind SW, calm.  The sky has a high overcast and it is very hazy, with limited visibility to the east.  We are evidently in for a number of days of melting, which will be welcome to reduce the snow levels but will be messy, slippery and ultimately produce  flooding on ice-choked streams.
   Yesterday was mostly just above freezing so I thought I would see what effect the warmer weather  was having on some nearby streams.  Not much yet, as evidenced by views of the Little Sioux River where it joins the  Sioux below the bridge on Friendly Valley Road, and the Sioux upstream from the Big Rock falls.  The area streams are all fast runoff streams, and some quick snow melting can make them roaring cataracts in no time.  I'll take a look at some others over the next few days.
   I haven't seen many eagles lately, I think they are busy mating, but I did see a mature bald eagle making lazy hunting circles high over Old San Road yesterday while Buddy and I were out for a walk.
   Venezuela continues to be in turmoil, it is a prime example of what happens when class warfare is encouraged by the left.  Jealousy, hatred, violence and no economic or social progress for anyone except the oligarchs and the cronies of the government.  Divide and conquer is the route taken by all oppressors, and that is the road President Obama would lead us down.  I heard that Jimmy Carter was going to Venezuela to "mediate" but he seems to have disappeared.   I am sure he is among friends, and hopefully he will stay a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment