Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 7, 2014

THE GOOD GUYS ALWAYS WON



FORGIVE, BUT NEVER FORGET
Sunday, Pearl Harbor Day, 8:30 AM.  30 degrees F, wind SW, gusty.  The sky is overcast, the humidity is 73% and the barometer is high but falling rapidly, now at 30.54".  The sun is now rising just to the north of the LaPointe dock.  When it rises over the south end of Madeline Island it will be the shortest day of the year.
   It was a beautiful morning yesterday, and on the way to the Recycle Center a pair of mallards flew low over the truck and landed in a small impoundment on an unnamed creek.  They flew off again before I could stop and get a photo of them.  I am surprised they are still hanging around.
   Today is the 73rd Anniversary of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor.  I was only five years old at the time so I do not actually remember "the day that will live in infamy."  But I find it surprising how much I remember of the subsequent war years.  The battles in the Pacific, D Day, and finally Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the capitulation of Japan.  And at home and at Sunday School, I was taught to forgive.  But I never forgot.
   Of course, at that time the war news was emblazoned across the movie theater screens so we saw plenty of war footage along with the cowboy movies on Saturday afternoons.  And in both cases,  in the end, the good guys always won.

No comments:

Post a Comment