Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A CENTURY LATER, STILL VULNERABLE

A VIRTUAL REPEAT OF YESTERDAY


Tuesday, 9:20 AM.  24 degrees F, wind NE, very light with light gusts.  The sky is overcast, the humidity 84%.  The barometer is steady, at 30.07".  The morning is a virtual repeat of yesterday.
   O.K., O.K., I give up!  I have had the flu for weeks and pretty much ignored it, but the last several days it came back with a vengeance and I slept all day yesterday.   I haven't had the flu like this in thirty years.  I guess it's nothing to fool around with, and it has been a real epidemic nation-wide. And, like many folks, I did get a flu shot.
   I remember  my parents talking about the flu pandemic after WWI, when each lost friends, and neighborhoods had black crepe hung on nearly every other door. At least twenty million people died world-wide in 1918-19, and some experts put the toll as high as 50 million.  Europe, greatly weakened by the depredations of war, suffered worst.   One doesn't think of such awful things happening these days, but a century later we still remain vulnerable to this  deadly,  quickly mutating virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment