Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 3, 2016

THERE'S ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE

GENUINE RED CLIFF OJIBWE INDIAN DOLL...

...MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA
Sunday, 8:30 AM.  62 degrees F at the ferry dock, 60 on the back porch.  Wind SSW, calm with light gusts.  The sky is clear, the humidity 81%.  The barometer is falling, now at 30.06", predicting chances of a thunderstorm sometime Tuesday or Tuesday evening.  Yesterday was beautiful, and today should be a repeat performance.
   As P. T. Barnum once famously said, "There's a sucker born every minute."  This sucker was born a whole lot of minutes ago.
   For a number of years now I have been collecting American Indian dolls; Hopi, Navajo, Ojibwe, Iroquois,  Seminole and others.  I am not a serious collector, just an amateur, but I should have known better when I bought the doll pictured at one of the local shops.  It was at a small table with jewelry and other items from the Red Cliff Rez.  I should have recognized it as not Indian, but it had some O.K. bead work and was rather interesting.  I paid $30 for it.
   On closer examination at home I found a hidden tag that identified it as made in South Africa.
I was chagrined.  I was a SUCKER!!!
   It is Red Cliff Pow Wow weekend.  I usually drop in.  If I do, I won't be buying any dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment