Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 12, 2017

VETERNS DAY 2017 CONTINUED

FLAGS ERECTED ON MOUNTAINS OF AGRICULTURAL LIME IN A FARM FIELD
Sunday, 10:00 AM.  33 degrees F at the ferry dock, 31 on the back porch. Wind W, calm.  The sky is cloudy and overcast, the humidity 78%.  The barometer is steady at 30.37". It will be cloudy, cool and dry through the coming week.
   I do not consider myself a veteran, even though I now am eligible for some veterans benefits. I served for a number of years in the Army Reserve, on both active and reserve duty, but serving between Korea and Vietnam,  I never fought in battle and don't consider myself worthy of being honored as a veteran.  I did, however, wear the uniform for many years and was always ready to answer the call, and sometimes feel guilty that I was not called up.  To quote the 16th Century English poet John Milton, "They also serve, who only stand and wait." Today's Reservists are much more  likely to be called to active duty, and serve in battle.
   Three close relatives of mine served in WWII, all of whom have died within the past year or so, and shortly before their deaths were honored to be chosen to fly to Washington, DC to visit the WWII Memorial. They all went on the trip together, accompanied by some of their children.  It was a high point of their lives.  A brother-in-law, now long gone, served three tours in Vietnam.  I am grateful for what they did for myself,  my family and my country, and extend that gratitude to all who sacrificed their youth, and many their lives, so the rest of us  could live in freedom.
   We can each of us serve by using the freedom and opportunity which we have been given through the sacrifice of others to battle for the American ideals of liberty, justice and truth for all people, and by recognizing in our own lives the never ending war of good against evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment