Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

4/01/09 DAFFODILS, FORSYTHIA AND TREE PLANTING


Wednesday, 8:30 AM. 33 degrees, wind WSW, calm. There is a very light snow falling. The roads were a bit slick walking, but it is a relatively warm morning and the ice and slush are melting. Daffodils are peeking through the snow on the south facing banks, and in another three weeks Bayfield will be glorious with tens of thousands of daffodils.
I cut forsythia branches this morning to force for Easter Sunday, and they should bloom by then if I watch them closely and adjust the heat in the office. In past years I forced many trees, shrubs, bulbs and perennials for flower shows, it is more art than science, and a lot of fun. We tried to get to the Larsen’s sugar bush yesterday but turned back because the roads were treacherous. We may try today, but I have an evening meeting in Ashland, a Digger’s Hotline seminar on utility safety, I call the hotline whenever I plant trees, it is much better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment