Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 16, 2009

11/16/O9 THE DEER STAND IS READY

A GOOD DAY DAWNING

Monday, 7:45 AM. 30 degrees, wind NW, very light. The channel is glassy, the sky cloudless and the barometer predicts partly cloudy weather. It is a fine day.
I spent several hours improving my deer stand yesterday, clearing shooting lanes in several directions, while taking care not to expose the tree stand. I think it is now as good as I can get it. I only use two of the three ladder sections for the stand, as I do not care to get into nosebleed territory, as do the folks who go up twenty feet or more. Getting in and out of the stand is the most precarious part of the activity and I do not care to push it, or for that matter hang myself with all the supposed safety gear. I am not afraid of heights but am not as young as I used to be (not by a long shot).
I am encouraged by the amount of deer activity now around my stand; a deep trail about 40 yards to the south of the stand, a maintained buck scrape about 80 yards to the west, and a lot of deer tracks around a big oak shedding acorns to the east. I have a city budget meeting at 4:00 PM today but may get out to the Town of Russell shooting range sometime beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment