Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 20, 2009

12/19/09 CHRISTMAS PRESENTS FOR MAN AND SQUIRREL





Sunday, 8:30 AM. 18.5 degrees, wind W, calm the channel is dimpled. The sky is overcast and the barometer predicts partly sunny skies.
The snow deposited on roads over the past ten days has gotten hard packed and slippery, in spite of the efforts of the city road crew, and I have been sliding about during our walks. I wore out my Yak Trax last year, and asked Santa for a new pair. He has obliged, but they were to go under the tree until Christmas morning. I pleaded with Mrs. Santa (Joan) and have gotten them early (the box can go under the tree).
There is a lot of different gear to put on to walk safely on winter terrain, but I like Yak Trax the best, and the upscale Yak Trax Pros really work!
Early in our Bayfield existence I broke an ankle on the slippery winter slope that is Wilson and Eleventh Street and I do not wish to ever repeat the experience. Thank you, Santa.
There was nobody, not even a neighborhood dog, out this rather sullen morning, and just when I thought there was nothing to catch my interest, I saw this tree on Eighth Street bedecked with dark spheres, like ornaments or perhaps popcorn balls. Of course! A black walnut tree, Juglans nigra! The squirrels will also have a good holiday, the presents on the tree rather than uder.

No comments:

Post a Comment