Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 19, 2011

5/19/11 IT AIN'T OVER 'TILL IT'S OVER

BEAUTIFUL LAST S UMMER

ROW OF NEWLY PLANTED "DOUBLE KNOCKOUT" ROSES

AIN'T DEAD YET!
Thursday, 7:45 AM.  49 degrees, wind N, calm. The barometer is down and it looks like rain, which we badly need, but I am in the middle of a couple of projects. Isn’t that the way it always is?  Anyway, rain or no rain, we will be happy  either way.
    I have had great luck with the eclectic mix of hybrid roses in the sandy soil and sunny location on the south side of the back yard, next to the Garden View parking spaces.  I have lost a few over the last five years or so they have been in, but in general they have been hardy, ever blooming and trouble free.  This last winter had less snow cover than usual and the spring has been very cold and late, and they have looked as though they would not make it this year, the larger canes all turning black after I cut the roses back a few weeks ago.  So, coming across a great sale at one of the big-box stores I bought eight ‘Double Knockout roses, which I know to be very hardy here and an exceptional bloomer.  Committed to the task, I started replacing the old roses yesterday.  As I dug them and examined them, it became obvious that most if not all the old plants had a lot of life and were leafing out.  I had jumped to conclusions and it looks as if every one of them would have survived! 
    The new roses are all planted and the will be beautiful, but now I have the extra, and arduous task of finding a spot for, and planting eight good sized roses.  I broke my own iron clad rule; don’t count a plant dead early in the spring, particularly a late spring.  Like a baseball game or life itself, “it ain’t over ‘till it’s over.”

No comments:

Post a Comment