Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 19, 2012

4/19/12 IMAGINARY BEARS, AND THE CHARM OF BASEBALL


OVERCAST BUT SHOULD CLEAR LATER
AMERICA'S GRAIN AND COAL POWER THE WORLD


Thursday, 7:45 AM.   35 degrees F, wind NW,  calm with light gusts.  the sky is overcast again and the humidity is 90%, but the barometer is high so it should clear up later in the day.
    Yesterday’s trip to Duluth was negotiated in a torrential downpour, a hard drive for Joan,  but good for stream and lake levels. It was a relief to have the four-wheel drive, as Hwy 2 had lots of tire-gabbing puddles. The return trip was less problematic and I was cleared to drive it. 
    My pacemaker seems to be doing exactly what it is designed to do and I am pretty sure I made the right decision.  Last night was moonless and starless, inky black when I took the dog out for the last time.  I kept seeing bears in the blackness but they were only in my imagination and Buddy said there weren’t any real ones around.
    The Brewers won a three to two squeaker against the Dodgers last night, Niger Morgan ignoring the third base coach and charging home on a sacrifice fly ball by Ryan Braun.  It was a thrilling 9h inning win.  The only problem was that it was a bad call by the home plate umpire, and according to the replay camera, Niger should have been out.  Had he been called out he would have been a bum instead of a hero.  To me that’s the charm of baseball; its elements of luck, courage and human error mirror the game of life.  All that’s been said many times before and much better than I can say it, but that’s my call, and that’s part of the ball game too.

No comments:

Post a Comment