Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

5/16/12 GROWIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES

I'M FINALLY GETTING MY OWN GARDENS CLEANED UP!

NANNYBERRY...

...FLOWERS

Wednesday, 8:30 AM.  51 degrees F, wind W, light with moderate gusts.  The humidity is down, the sky is blue, and the barometer predicts the same.  It is a “perfect ten” day.
    We had a first yesterday morning…a Baltimore oriole landed on the hummingbird feeder.  It couldn’t perch there for long but it tried to drink and finally flew off.  My reaction was to immediately run down to the hardware store, purchase an oriole feeder, fill it with feeder solution (From my Google search I found that oriole food is six parts water to one part sugar, a little less sweet than hummingbird food at four to one, so I watered down some of the later and assume that will be close enough)and hang it up, along with orange slices in a wire suet feeder.  So far the bird has not been back but I have high hopes.   
    The nannyberry, Viburnum lantana, in the front yard is in full bloom, its creamy white, flat-toped flowers will be followed by reddish-orange fruit which gradually turns black by fall.  The genus Viburnum is very important, with many species, including American highbush cranberry and arrowwood, that are much used in landscaping and for attracting wildlife.
    I am finally making significant progress in cleaning up the gardens: the rose hedge has had all the encroaching sod removed and new mulch put down; the little herb garden is weeded, planted and mulched; and, today I will pull weeds and clean up the perennial border.  I am amazingly stiff and sore, but gratified by the results. 
    As Oly, my Bayfield barber says, “Growing old ain’t for sissies.”

No comments:

Post a Comment