Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 30, 2014

THEY DIDN'T PROMISE ME A ROSE GARDEN

SUNDAY'S DAWN


YESTERDAY WAS LIKE A BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPH...

...TAKEN ON A DINGY GRAY DAY
Sunday, 8:45 AM.  13 degrees F on the ferry dock, 10 on the back porch.  Wind W, gusty.  The sky has a high overcast, the humidity is 73% and the barometer is rising, now at 29.99".  It looks to be a rather average winter day, and I will  get out in the woods a bit later, unless the weather worsens.
   Saturday had looked promising, with temperatures predicted to be in the 30's.  They made it, for about ten minutes around noon.  Lured by a rising thermometer and a brief spate of sunshine, I dressed moderately and got out into the woods. I thought the deer, such as they are, should be moving.
   As soon as I got situated along the logging road the temperature began to drop and the sun disappeared, swallowed by a humid gray atmosphere that seemingly congealed around the dully glowing orb.
    It didn't snow, it didn't rain...it just got colder, windier and more humid until it felt like it must do something...but never did.  By the time it started to get dark I felt like I was encased in an icicle.  It took a warm dinner, a pull at the cooking brandy and a long sit in front of the fire to thaw me out.
   Oh, well... they didn't promise me a rose garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment