Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2017

BAYFIELD DEER

DEER ON HWY. 13 JUST SOUTH OF BAYFIELD...

...LOOKED NOURISHED AND FIT
Monday, 8:00 AM.  Wind calm and variable, sky overcast, cloudy, and it is snowing, the humidity 71%.  The barometer is beginning to fall, now at 30.07".  More snow is predicted for tomorrow, and the forecast calls for a continuation  of our current spate of weather.  Global Warming may be winning the climate war, but it is loosing the battle in Bayfield these days.
   I am scheduled for the first therapy session for my shoulder today and am hoping it goes well, as I slipped on black ice while walking the dog yesterday morning and fell on it again. It was so slick I had to crawl to the side of the road where there was some grass to get myself upright. Damn!
  Yesterday, a little before dusk, I encountered four deer just south of Bayfield on Hwy. 13.  They looked well nourished and fit.  One bounded in front of the truck before I was able to take a photo of it, but the remaining three posed for quite a while, as traffic whizzed by me from both directions, oblivious as to why I was stopped.
   Deer have become rather scarce in many areas of the north woods, as several severe winters and overly generous hunting seasons decimated the herd.  But this milder winter and less snow has given the deer a break, and if the bucks were able to find all the estrous does last fall, and it is a good spring for fawning, their numbers should increase substantially this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment