Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

8/30/11 ANOTHER JOB WELL DONE

WALL AND PLANTINGS LOOKING NORTH

WALL AND PLANTINGS LOOKING SOUTH
Tuesday, 8:00 AM.  Wind WSW, calm.  The sky is lightly overcast and the barometer predicts rain, but I think not this morning.
    The job we transported the trees from the nursery for has turned out very nicely; a 40’ fieldstone rock wall, topped by a row of American dark green arborvitae (Thuja occidentaalis nigra) which will be a tall, informal hedge, flanked by a white pine (Pinus strobus) on the south and a white spruce (Picea glauca) on the north.  It is at the back of the property we are landscaping, and will provide a somewhat formal backdrop for the house, and hide some undesirable views and a hard to maintain steep embankment.  It is of course in its infancy but it shows a lot of landscape design promise.  We will put a few finishing touches on the wall and mulch the plantings and we will be done with this part of the project today.  I really enjoy landscape design and planting, it is creative, useful, and makes a good retirement business (and not everyone is as good at it as I am…whoa, my mother would scold me for boasting). 
    I went to the memorial service yesterday evening for Anne Rumsey, killed last week in a bicycle accident.  It was sad but also inspiring and uplifting.  The whole town is in morning for a promising life cut so short, so suddenly.
    My trail camera took 116 photos of myself, lucky, a raccoon, and a host of photos of the front of the house, triggered by who knows what; but no bear, not even a tail or an ear. I think the bear has some experience with trail cameras as well as traps.

No comments:

Post a Comment