Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

11/15/11 TARGET PRACTICE, SKATING ON THIN ICE, AND THE MEANING OF "IS"

RED DAWN
FREE TO AREA RESIDENTS


A GOOD FACILITY

I'LL JUST PRETEND THEY ALL HIT THE BULL'S EYE AT 150 YARDS

GOOD SAFETY RULES AND SIGNS

Tuesday, 9:00 AM.  37 degrees, wind WNW, light but picking up.  The sky is overcast but the barometer predicts partly cloudy skies.
    I went to the Town of Russell shooting range yesterday afternoon to do a little target practice.  The most important thing for me is to re-familiarize myself with the semi-automatic rifle’s loading, safety, scope  etc. as I seldom shoot except for deer season.  I won’t win any marksman medals, but I do well enough.  This may all be redundant for regular readers, but the facility is very adequate, well maintained and with appropriate signs.  It  is free to area residents and is supported and maintained by volunteers, and is not a tax liability.  It is a prime example of how communities can provide amenities that are not a fiscal burden.
    Yesterday’s Board of Zoning Appeals meeting was interesting, even though it did not render the decision I would have liked.  I did recuse myself from voting because I have what could be considered a conflict of interest, although I did chair the meeting and I think facilitate discussion.  I was admonished by one of the lawyers present that I was “skating on thin legal ice” by chairing the meeting. What I would have liked to have said, but did not, because I did not wish to be flippant in public, is :“If I listened to lawyers I would never get out of bed in the morning.” 
    Frankly, we have way too many lawyers in government, and probably in society as a whole, which drives us to be continually litigious. I have a hard time voting for a lawyer who is running for office.  When government is stacked with lawyers we end up arguing about what the meaning of the word “is” is, instead of making relevant public policy decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment