Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, November 21, 2011

11/21/11 HEADLINE: "DEER SEASON OFF TO A SLOW START." YEP.

BIRCH, RED PINE AND OAK

BALSAM FIR ALL DECORATED FOR CHRISTMAS

QUIET END TO A PRETTY QUIET DAY
Monday, 5:30 PM.  Temperature about 28 degrees.  It was 24 degrees at 7:00 AM and warmed to above freezing by noon, but it was cold up on the deer stand. Wind W, calm at present.  It  was pretty much a blue sky day, even with the barometer still way down.  There must be an almost stationary low to the west.  The humidity is also  down.  It was a pretty day but still strangely quiet in the woods, with no bird or small animal activity whatsoever.
    I was fortunate to see three deer at 7:00 AM, they crossed the trail to the stand in succession.  I got the scope on the first two and they were definitely does, the third moved like a buck but I could see no antlers, maybe it was a little spike buck but I could of course not take a chance.  They were about 150 yards away and would have been an O.K. shot for me since they were walking slowly and even standing and looking about.  I think the third deer spotted me but it didn’t spook, just ambled off. 
    I had some things to do today so I went home for lunch about 11:00 AM but was back in the woods by 3:00 PM.  Nothing doing from then until dark. I will get out early tomorrow in hopes that there will be some activity at dawn again.  Today’s Daily Press had as its headline, “Deer Season Off To A Slow Start.”  Yep.   

No comments:

Post a Comment