Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

LITTLE WHITE LIES, AND YELLOW POND LILIES

A MUSEUM-QUALITY HARLEY-DVIDSON

A VINTAGE PONTOON PLANE

YELLOW POND LILY

Wednesday, 8:00 AM.  73 degrees F, humidity 70%.  Wind NW, very light.  The sky is a a cloudless azure blue but the barometer predicts rain, perhaps tonight.  It will be hot by  afternoon, so I will try to get some yard work done before then.
    Joan had an appointment to get her hair done in Ashland yesterday and I had some errands to run as well.  This awesome Harley Davidson motorcycle was parked outside the hair salon.  It is beautiful enough to be in an art museum.  Turns out it belongs to one of the women who works there, who rides it to work.
    We stopped in one of the Ashland lake front parks to eat our fast-food lunch (Buddy loves an Arby’s roast beef sandwich), where this very cool vintage  pontoon plane was parked, sans owner. As I walked around it, several people asked me if it was mine, and I said yes, that I was a Chicago merger and acquisitions magnate looking into buying the local power plant.  I don’t think they believed me, but it was fun to pretend the plane was mine, and perhaps I have caused some much needed excitement on the south end of Chequamegon Bay.  Maybe I should have lied about the motorcycle as well.
    Yellow pond lily, in the water-lily family (Nymphaceae) is blooming in backwaters of the Sioux River and other quiet waters.  It  is not in the same genus as the  true native water lily,  Nymphaea odorata, that has white flowers.  There are several species of yellow pond lily, in the genus Nuphar, native to Wisconsin and I don't know which one this is.  The lotus lily, Nelumbo lutea, (also in the water-lily family} that grows along the Wisconsin River and its tributaries  has a yellow flower, but its leaves are round and held above the water by a stem central to the leaf, and do not float.

No comments:

Post a Comment