Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 1, 2013

A NICE REGATTA, AND ANOTHER FALL ASTER

SAILBOAT REGATTA OFF BLACK HAWK MARINA

AZURE ASTER

Sunday,  8:45 AM.  67 degrees F, wind WNW, moderate with very strong gusts.  The sky is clearing from conditions that left a trace of rain last night, but there is a dark band of clouds still retreating on the southern horizon. The humidity is down to 81%, and the barometer also, at 29.67".  It is a beautiful morning but very unsettled, and it looks like an iffy day for small craft.
    I bought a Farmer's Almanac yesterday and am going to put it into the mix of weather information I glean from personal observation and various sources.  I have always wondered how accurate its predictions are and will keep tabs on it over the long term.
   Yesterday morning there was a regatta of smaller sailboats just off the Black Hawk Marina in downtown Bayfield.  I am always amazed at how closely they maneuver to each other.  It reminded me of a school of fish, or  a flock of birds.
   There was a nice patch of what I will identify as azure aster, Aster azureus, growing on Nevers Road, west of its junction with Hwy. 13 south of Washburn.  Thirty species of aster grow in Wisconsin and many hybridize, so I don't pretend to know them well, but I'm pretty sure of this one.  All the asters bLoom from mid-summer on, and they become a prominent aspect of the fall landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment