Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, September 6, 2013

THE WELL DRESSED WOODSMAN




A MIXED MESSAGE MORNING

THE WELL DESSED WOODSMAN

Friday,  9:00 AM.  66 degrees F, wind N, light.  It is mostly cloudy, with high, mixed gray and white clouds.  There had been some sun but it has disappeared.  The humidity is high at 89%, and the barometer has dropped to 30.01".  We may get a shower today.
   I guess the casual observer might think I look dumb in the above photo.  Actually, I look pretty smart,  safety wise, all dressed up for a little wood cutting.  The orange pants are protective chaps, meant to minimize injury should the chain of of the saw I hold come in contact with my leg.  I am wearing a hardhat with a visor, which protects my head and face should the chain saw kick back while I am sawing a log.  I wear decent leather boots, although they are not steel-toed, which are recommended.  I have have heavy leather gloves, although I am not wearing then in the photo.  The chain saw has a modern chain-brake, meant to disengage the chain of the saw should it kick back.  
  Perhaps the old man does look a little silly, all dressed up to cut a pickup truck full of wood.  But I was motivated to be a well-dressed and safe woodsman by several things.  First of all, I bought a new chain saw because my old (ancient) saw did not have a chain brake, and the arborists with whom I routinely work prevailed upon me to modernize for my own safety.
  Also, I knew I would end up writing about cutting fire wood, and I didn't want to be a bad safety example for anyone else, neithr did I wish to become  a safety poster child if I got hurt through being unsafely attired.
  Lastly, and most decisively, a good friend just recently was badly hurt when his chain saw kicked back in his face.  He was not wearing head and face protection.  And that reminded me of all the unnecessary injuries that I was familiar with in the days before it was routine to wear protective gear.
   I have found it difficult to become accustomed to wearing safety equipment while working with a chain saw.  Some of it seems clumsy at first and it makes work hotter and more uncomfortable.  But I am getting used to it and know that the chaps greatly reduce the chance of cutting a femoral artery, and the hard hat and face shield can save an eye, a nose or even a carotid artery in a kick back.  A scar is one thing, bleeding to death in the woods is quite another.
   The noise-muffling ear muffs are the only part of the safety gear that I would question the usefulness of, since I am already, according to Joan, half deaf.  Or at least exhibit highly selective hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment