Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 4, 2013

GOLD

FOG BANK RISING OVER CHEQUAMEGON BAY



 GILDED SUGAR MAPLE LEAVES 

GOLDEN WHITE PINE NEEDLES


NEW ENGLAND ASTERS

Friday,  8:00 AM.  54 degrees F, wind N, light with strong occasional gusts.  The sky is dark and overcast, and a massive fog bank is rising over Chequamegon Bay.  The humidity is 90% and it has rained quite a bit but it is not raining now.  The barometer is trending upward, currently at 30.10".
   I don't have any gold in my IRA,  despite what I am constantly being told to do on TV.  But I have lots of it in my Bayfield landscapes.  Sugar maples are turning now, and the sight I enjoy most is the still-green leaves that are beginning to turn golden, as though dipped in a can of gold paint. The white pines are now as gold as they are green, the oldest needles  turning yellow-gold and dropping to the ground in an annual process that will lead  to the growth of new green needles next spring.
   We got a delivery of trees yesterday afternoon from Northwoods Nursery for customers on Chequamegon Road.  The trees are all laid out for planting and if it doesn't rain too hard we will get them in the ground today.  It is a nice addition to a native woodland landscape and I will try to remember to take photos while the job is being done.
   I will sound trite saying it, because it sounds like something people say when they are broke,  but say it I will.  The most valuable gold is found not in an IRA, but in the golden days of fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment