Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

TO CHINA, WITH LOVE


A LOT OF SNOW AND ICE WILL MELT TODAY

Tuesday, 9:00 AM.  40 degrees F, wind NW, moderate with strong gusts; it is a windy morning.  The sky was partially overcast earlier but has since cleared considerably.  The humidity has dropped to 68% and the barometer risen a bit to 29.87".  A lot of snow and ice will melt today.
   Headline: "Americans With No Skill Sets wanted in China."The article explained how Americans arriving at major Chinese airports and overheard speaking English are being instantly approached by Chinese eager to hire english tutors for their children at very good wages.  No experience, no references, no kidding.
   I immediately thought of several folks whom we would be better off paying to send  there than keeping them hanging around here.  A top candidate was the young man, about sixteen and pleasant enough looking that I said "Hi, how are ya?" to at the Post Office.  Imagine my complete surprise when he replied, "Fine.  Got a dollar I can use?"
   I thought asking to "use" a dollar was rather odd, but I replied, "Why would I give you a dollar?"
   "So I can get a soda before I go to my job interview."
   I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to panhandle money on the way to a job interview.  His reply was a blank stare.  I would have told him about the job opportunities in China (for Americans with no skills) but he would have asked me for the airfare.  Perhaps someone should set up a charitable non-profit organization to accomplish this worthy goal. It could be named To China With Love, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment