Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

UNWELCOME GUESTS AT MY GARDEN PARTY

RAVINE ON 8TH AND RITTENHOUSE
UNWELCOME GUESTS


Wednesday, 8:30 AM.  32 degrees F, wind variable, light.  The sky is mostly overcast.  The humidity is up, at 85%.  The barometer is steady, at 30.19".  It is a quiet, rather pleasant morning, despite the discouraging statistics.  The melting continues steadily and slowly, but there is still plenty of snow in the woods, ravines and on north facing slopes.
   While we were eating lunch yesterday Joan saw two deer in the back yeard, and I grabbed my camera.  I stayed sitting at the table so as not to spook them by approaching the patio door but they sensed my presence anyway and scampered off.  They were obviously looking for tender green plants now poking up in the garden.  In fourteen years here I have only seen deer in the yard once or twice before, and those episodes were very fleeting.  These deer are emboldened by hunger.  I am empathetic to anything or anyone that is hungry, but I can't have deer in my garden and next time I will let Buddy on the porch to bark at them.
   Deer are unwelcome guests at my garden party.

No comments:

Post a Comment