Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, March 4, 2016

PRUNING APPLE TREES. ON SNOWSHOES!

THE FERRY IS RUNNING IN OPEN WATER THESE DAYS

THE CARDINAL PAIR IS SHOWING UP AT THE FEEDER  REGULARLY

APPLE ORCHARDS ARE BEING PRUNED...

...NOTE THE SNOWSHOES
Friday, 8:00 AM.  22 degrees F at the ferry dock and on the back porch.  The wind is variable and calm, the humidity 78%.  The sky is virtually clear.  The barometer is high, at 30.14" but is beginning to fall.  Snow showers are still predicted for later in the day but it does't look like it at present.  We have had a week of mostly calm, innocuous weather, stuck somewhere between winter and early spring.
   First, I must apologize for the several days absence.   I lost access to my blog.  I don't know why I am having so much trouble of late, since I have had very few problems over what is now going on the ninth year of the Almanac; I think it may relate to tougher and tougher security and more and more difficult passwords.  In any case, many thanks to Jim from our Tree Board who fixed things for me more quickly than I could follow. The hand is indeed quicker than the eye.
   Second, last night's Republican debate in Detroit was not as bad a food fight as before, and it gave time at least for Gov. Kasich of Ohio to take the stage and in my estimation he is the adult in the room.  I will comment on Trump at another time, as I think I have some insight into his behavior.
   Third, back to Bayfield: the apple orchards are being pruned in earnest.  In sixteen years in Bayfield I have never before actually seen orchardists out pruning.  I have seen trees neatly pruned, with branches laying in neat piles beneath them, but never a human being.  I was on the verge of thinking that the work must be done by trolls and elves in the winter moonlight.  But the photos belie that theory; real people with lopping shears and hand shears were out the other day.  On snowshoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment