Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 2, 2014

ICE WATCH

Friday, 8:00 AM.  42 degrees F, wind WNW, calm to light with some stronger gusts.  The sky is cloudy, with a high overcast, but there is no fog or mist.  The humidity is lower, at 83%, and the barometer is trending down a bit, now at 29.69".  It is a quiet morning and maybe I can get some yard work done.
   Almanac junkie Pat Weeden of Madison is an inveterate ice watcher via web cams in the Bayfield area as well as Duluth.  He sent me the following email yesterday.  He is doing some really interesting observation, and I pass it on with great pleasure.

Hi Art,
I've been watching the webcam at Seagull Bay Motel for the better part of six weeks now, waiting for the ice break up. I create a time-lapse movie at the end of each day, and on Monday, I started to see a little movement in the ice. Today was more pronounced. I uploaded today's (April 30) timelapse to YouTube if you want to take a look or put it on the Almanac. Go here:


Judging from this, it seems like break up would be in the next several days. I recorded last year's break up on April 16 and in 2012, ice was moving in late February. I'm no expert though, just a gawker from afar on the webcam.

I have also been watching the UW's webcam out at the sea caves. On Sunday, it went from a sheet of ice to open water in two hours. It was pretty dramatic. Haven't made a timelapse of that yet but I have attached a few pictures from Sunday. Pay attention to the time stamp on each picture for a sense of how fast it happened. I can see why the NPS rangers get nervous about having people out there.




Here are the links to the webcams I use:

I read the Almanac every day at work on my 9:30 break. What a soul-crushing winter you've had!

Pat

My thanks to Pat, Seagull Bay Motel and UW/Park Service for all their work.  I'll have to be sure I have a post by 9:30 AM every day for Pat's coffee break.


No comments:

Post a Comment