Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 3, 2016

MAZINA'IGAN, THE "TALKING PAPER"

WINTER (BIBOON) 2016-17 EDITION

INDIAN VETERANS COLOR GUARD
Sunday, 8:25 AM.  31 degrees F at the ferry dock, 16 on the back porch. Wind variable, with light to moderate gusts.  The sky is overcast and cloudy, with some fog and light snow.  The humidity is 87%, the barometer steady at 30.04" of mercury.  The forecast calls for a continuation of temperatures in the twenties and low thirties with clouds, rain and snow for the next ten days.  Same old same old!
   I just received my winter (Biboon) edition of the Mazina'igan (Talking Paper), published quarterly by the Great Lakes Indian Fish and Game Commission, a cooperative research and enforcement agency of US federal, state,  and Indian authorities operating in the states of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, all  of which include Ojibwe Indian reservations and, perhaps more importantly, territories ceded to those states by the tribes by treaty, and in which by treaty Indians retain hunting, fishing and gathering rights.  
   I have received this free publication for years, and  it is always well researched and written, with a breadth of interesting and valuable articles on natural resources, law, and Indian culture.  
   I may not agree with every perspective in Mazina'igan, but it enhances my knowledge, broadens my viewpoint and helps me to understand my Indian neighbors. 
    Subscriptions are free to US and Canadian residents; subscribe online at www.glifwic.org, or write to Mazina'igan, P.O. Box 9, Odanah, WI 54861, telephone (715)-682-6619.  I encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity, you will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment