Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, January 12, 2009

1/12/09 AND THERE WAS NO MOON AT ALL


Monday, 7:45 AM. 6 degrees, wind W, calm. The sky is overcast but clearing, and the barometer predicts snow. We are evidently in the deep freeze all week.
The sunrise was a pink wash behind the blue-gray clouds, but there are no sailors out there to hark to the ancient admonition, “pink sky in the morning, sailor take warning.” Only snowmobilers out on the frozen wastes, but if I were venturing out very far I would consider the old adage.
Yesterday evening I thought I might catch that spectacular moon rise of Saturday evening, and I went down to the lake to watch for it. I waited a respectable amount of time without thinking to check the moon rise time for the day. It just never seemed to come up, much to my chagrin, as its appointed rising was a full hour and a half later than the night before. It certainly emphasizes how much I, and probably most of us, are disconnected from the basic rhythms of nature.
Even though the moon wasn’t up and it was virtually dark, the scene was brightened by the sight of Jon and Danielle Ewald (I’m pretty sure it was them) of the Big Water CafĂ© walking hand in hand on the harbor ice off the Municipal Marina. They obviously did not need the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment