Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 31, 2010

7/31/10 OUTSMARTING THE WASPS

LOOKS LIKE RAIN
THE "WASPINATOR"
THE REAL DEAL IN FOREGROUND, THE FAKE IN BACKGROUND

Saturday, 8:00 AM. 67 degrees, wind W, light. The channel is calm, the sky overcast with dark rain clouds. .5” of rain fell last night and the barometer predicts more.
In years past we were often bothered by wasps and yellow jackets buzzing around our porch table (we eat outside almost every meal in the summer). Sometimes one would fly inside an open soda can, posing a pretty serious threat to the drinker.
Two years ago I found a paper wasp nest in the woods (they are abandoned by fall) and having heard that wasps are territorial and will stay away from each other’s nests, I put it on the table. It worked! We haven’t been bothered much since. But, since time takes its toll on everything, it has gotten pretty ragged and I haven’t come across another.
Enter the “Waspinator,” an artificial wasp’s nest that mimics the real thing. It is, however, rather ugly. I followed the instructions and hung one up on the porch and another on the downstairs patio, and we are very much interested in their effectiveness. I don’t think it looks much like a wasp’s nest, but then I am not a wasp, and I know from using goose decoys that what I consider to be a realistic goose is not necessarily what the geese think.
Anyway, the Waspinator is the product of a “proud Canadian company,”
but of course it is “fabric en Chine,” like everything else. The Chinese workers probably laugh themselves sick over this product, bought by crazy Americans. Visit www.Waspinator.com for more info, and I’ll let you know how well it outsmarts the wasps, after a fair trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment