Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

10/27/10 A BAD SPELL OF WETHER

THE STORM BRINGS MIXED RAIN AND SNOW
WAVES CRASH ON THE BREAKWATER
SURF AT REITEN BEACH
IN FOR A SWIM
TOUGH GOING

Wednesday, 8:15 AM. 34 degrees, wind now SW, still very strong but subsiding. The wind howled loudly all night and the rain clattered on the skylights, rendering sleep fitful. The driving rain is mixed with snow now. There is another 1.5” in the gage but the barometer is rising.
Late yesterday afternoon the wind was so fierce that I was compelled to go down to the lakefront and watch the waves. The surf pounded on the break wall but vehicles were still lined up waiting for the ferry. I don’t know if the ferry continued to run, but it is seldom canceled. I went to the marina where most boats are now out of the water on stands but I didn’t stay long, as they looked like they might be blown over like dominoes. At Rieten Park the surf was high and crashing on the beach as a swimmer in wet suit, fins and scuba mask entered the water. I recognized him as an acquaintance who swims every day. He made his way out a hundred yards or so and then swam parallel to the beach. The currents are strong a short way out from there, even in good weather, and I imagine there was also a very strong undertow. I didn’t stay to watch his further progress, and I hope I wasn’t witnessing a statistic in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment