Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

11/06/10 A HELLUVA WAY TO GET A DEER

THE MORNING AFTER
DOESN'T LOOK BAD BUT WILL BE EXPENSIVE

Saturday, 9:00 AM. 35 degrees, wind W, calm. The sky is cloudless, the barometer predicts rain, but it is to dry to do so.
I hit a deer with the truck last night about 6:30 PM, right in the city of Washburn. I was only going about 30 MPH but the deer was going about the same, so it flew like a rag doll, tumbling into the ditch on the opposite side of the road. I’m sure it was dead. I didn’t try to find it as there is nothing that can legally be done to put it out of its misery if it weren’t dead, and the meat would have been too bruised up in any case. It was a big deer, either a buck chasing a doe or a doe fleeing a buck. In any case, I think the rut has started. The damage doesn’t look bad but I know it will still be expensive. We are glad we weren’t driving the Saab, as it would have probably been totaled and we would have had a deer through the windshield and in our laps. Anyway, it’s a helluva way to get one’s deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment