Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 30, 2010

10/30/10 SHARED EXPERTISE

AN UNSETTLED DAY
WISCONSIN INDIANHEAD TECHNICAL COLLEGE...A LANDSCAPE BLANK SLATE
WITC CAMPUS CONCEPTUAL LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN

Saturday, 9:00 AM. 39 degrees, wind variable (SW to NE) and blustery. The sky is overcast except for a bright band on the southeastern horizon. The barometer is down, predicting partly cloudy skies. It is a very unsettled day.
I have just finished a project that I have worked on over the past several months; a conceptual master landscape plan for Wisconsin Indian Head Technical College in Ashland. It is a large campus and much in need of relevant landscaping, a veritable blank slate. The way I do a project like this is to develop long range plans for plantings and amenities, working with a committee or lead person from the institution. I find specific vantage points from which to analyze problems, opportunities and concepts, taking many photographs for reference. I develop ideas, and refine them through interaction with institutional representatives.
I am not a landscape architect or artist, and admittedly my drawing board work is pretty rough, but my plans and recommendations are practical and based on my rather unique experience in horticulture, plant ecology and facilities management, and I enjoy sharing my expertise where and when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment