Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 4, 2012

FAITH IN A SEED

LOOKS LIKE RAIN

A GHOSTLY FULL MOON

HAVE FAITH...

...BUT WATER WELL

Saturday, 9:30 AM.  70 degrees F, wind W changing to SW, light.  The sky is overcast with high gray clouds, the humidity is 90% and the barometer predicts rain.
    Last evening the full moon rose a ghostly yellow orange, presaging a storm, and I  awoke about 2:00 AM to the sound of distant thunder.  As I lay there, a zephyr of cool, refreshing air blew through the room, and suddenly the sound and light show was on.  The storm only lasted about half an our and then moved on, but it left better than a half inch of much needed rain it its wake.
    The grading and seeding job on 6th St. is greening up nicely, right on schedule.  One knows that the  planted seed will germinate and everything will turn out well, but one can’t help visiting the site continually, looking, waiting, hoping for the seeds to sprout.  My mother would have said, “Oh, ye of little faith.” 
    And as Henry David Thoreau said, “…I have great faith in a seed.  Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders.”
    I don’t remember Thoreau saying much about watering the seed, however.  Faith alone won’t do the job.  Faith is potential; it takes positive action to assure the result.  I would paraphrase Thoreau thusly; “I have great faith in a seed.  Water it properly, and I am prepared to expect wonders.”

No comments:

Post a Comment