Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

LUPINS, REGATTAS, ROADWORK AND FIREWOOD

LUPINES ARE IN FULL BLOOM, EVERYWHERE

SWEET CICELY 


REGATTA

HWY 13 RECONSTRUCTION IS FINISHED

Wednesday, 11:00 AM.  63 degrees F, wind calm to very light.  the sky is again cobalt blue and clear.  The humidity is 69% and the barometer is trending down a bit to a30.06".  If yesterday was a 10, today is a 10+.
   The annual blossoming of lupines, Lupinus perennis, is at its peak for the Fourth of July. It is an amazing display, and the latest and largest I have seen.  Use the blog search engine to find previous discussions of the lupines, and my interpretation of their history.
   Sweet Cicely is one of my favorite native wildflowers.  There are several species in Wisconsin, the one pictured being, I believe, Osmorhiza chiliensis, which is endemic to the shores of Lake Superior in Bayfield County.  It has a very pleasant, sweet aroma. It blooms along with the lupines but is slightly later and outlasts them.
   It is sailboat race week and there was a big regatta yesterday.  I didn't think there was enough wind to propel the boats, but there they were, many with spinnakers filled.
   Daughter Eva and grandkids Nick and Katie arrived from Denver yesterday evening, so the old folks will have to perk up and go to parades and such.   I had hoped son-in-law Doug would come as well so I could put him to work helping put up some firewood, but he had to stay in Denver and get paid for his   efforts, worse-the-luck fer me.

No comments:

Post a Comment