Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

6/01/11 HIGH WINDS, AND BEAUTIFUL FLOWERING CRAB APPLE TREES

STRONG SW WINDS

DANGEROUS SEAS

A HANDSOME FLOWERING CRAB APPLE  TREE

...DITTO

...AND...

...DITTO
Wednesday, 7:00 AM.  54 degrees, wind WSW, very strong.  The sky is partly cloudy and the barometer predicts sunny skies.  We had a high move in yesterday afternoon that has brought sustained, very high winds with it.  I haven’t seen any real damage here so far, but the wind conditions have been pretty severe.  Wind W turning toward  S produced high, very choppy waves on the channel.  Kayakers who insist on going out in this kind of sea are, in my opinion,  simply suicidal, and I hope the one pictured did not venture beyond the minimal shelter of the ferry landing. 
    Flowering crab apples are such important landscape trees that I will present them as they come into bloom, not by name because the varieties are, as I have said myriad, but just to give an idea of their beauty and diversity of bloom and form.
    The weather has held up nursery shipments, we have a spate of landscape work to do in the next few days, and I must tend to the task. I go ahead of the crew to lay out the work, then stay in touch to supervise.

No comments:

Post a Comment