Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2011

6/27/11 IT'S AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NOBODY SOME GOOD

OX EYE DAISIES

BLADDER CAMPION

RED MULBERRY TREE

LOADED WITH FRUIT

Monday, 8:00 AM.  62 degrees, wind NNE, calm.  The sky is ovrcast, it feels like rain and the barometer predicts it. The wet weather and humidity  has produced a great hatch of mosquitos.
    The common ox eye, or white, daisy’s of the field, Chrysanthemum leucanthemum,  are in bloom everywhere now, very pretty but weedy.  I often let them grow in the garden as they are easy to pull up and otherwise welcome enough.
    The bladder campion, Silene cucubalus, in the pink family, has an interesting flower, the petals subtended by a rounded bladder, thus its common name.  I can get it confused with soapwort, Saponaria officinalis, but I think I have it right.  It is a European weed of pastures and waste places but is quite pretty.
    Every year I try to pick mulberries, which I love, on the roadside across the street but the native red mulberry tree, Morus rubra,  had grown out of my reach.  Winter winds and snow load have tiped it over somewhat and it is now accessible and loaded with fruit.  It’s an ill wind that blows nobody some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment