Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 24, 2016

FALSE SOLOMON'S SEAL BERRIES ARE RIPE.

FALSE SOLOMON'S SEAL RACEME OF FLOWERS...
...RIPE BERRIES
Saturday, 8:45 AM.  60 degrees F at the ferry dock, 58 on the back porch.  Wind variable, with light gusts.  The sky is filled with a low overcast and the humidity is 82%. The barometer stands steady, ai 30.19".  There is a chance of rain tomorrow and Monday, then clearing.
   I saw a large flock of migrating geese yesterday morning, flying very high and fast. I have seen no more hummingbirds and believe they are all gone now. The big planting job is almost done, to be finished up Monday morning. Turned out great, although I was frustrated by my still-bad arm; I'm lucky to have Jay's Tree Care and his crew to partner with.
     False Solomon's seal, Smilacina racemosa, in the Lily Family, is a widespread plant native to every state in the US except Hawaii.  Its creamy white flowers are, as the species name implies, borne in terminal racemes, and are followed by edible berries that turn from a spotted orange to bright red when fully ripe.
   The berries have a rather pleasant taste and I think would make good preserves (seems to me I tasted some a few years back), and for the first time I found plants this year in great enough number in a large colony that it would be feasible to do so (I have eaten them with no ill effect, but don't you  do so without further investigation). Bears eat them, but then bears eat almost anything.  En mass they are almost as beautiful and effective as a woods full of Trilliums.
   The true Solomon's seal,  several species in the genus Polygonatum,  have flowers and blue colored berries in pairs along the stem at each leaf node.
DON'T FORGET TO WATCH THE DEBATE MONDAY NIGHT

No comments:

Post a Comment