Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 24, 2013

WARBLERS, DEER AND SARGENT SCHULTZ

SUGAR MAPLES ARE BLOOMING

WHO'S THERE?

...WE'RE NOT STICKING AROUND TO FIND OUT

Friday,  9:30 AM.  421 degrees F, wind S, light.  the sky is clear and visibility good.  The barometer is down, at 30.48" and the humidity is 79%.  It should warm up today and continue to dry out.
   Sugar maple trees are in bloom.  The flowers are usually so high up I can't get a good photo but I gave it a try.  They are a rather bright yellow-green, but do not stand out particularly.
   I am absolutely enthralled with the bird life  all around us. O the back porch, in the garden, in the trees.  The warblers, which usually only stop to rest a few days on their northward migration, have been around for over a week, and I wonder if many who would ordinarily move on will stop here to nest.  I assume all this is due to the very cool weather.  I am not much of a birder, but even I have identified a black and white, a Cape May, a chestnut sided, and a Canada warbler, and if this continues I will see and identify more I am sure.  I have taken to doing yard work with my binoculars around my neck.  I and my camera are not capable of taking photos of warblers, so you will have to trust me.
   Last evening we took a ride around the orchard country about dusk, and saw eight deer, all of which looked in good shape.  We didn't see any fawns,  but they are usually hidden somewhere.  The apple trees have not begun to flower as yet;  and I don't think the cherries have blossomed either, although it is possible I missed them.
   Watching IRS and other testimony before Congress is like watching Hogan's Heros reruns, with Sargent Schultz announcing, "I know nothing!  Nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment